Name:
Location: Cambridge, CAMBS, United Kingdom

Monday, May 15, 2006

Album Review - Please

Please is the first album by the Pet Shop Boys. It was produced in 1985-86. It has eleven tracks:

Two Divided By Zero
West End Girls
Opportunities (Let's Make Lots of Money)
Love Comes Quickly
Suburbia
Opportunities (Reprise)
Tonight is Forever
Violence
I Want A Lover
Later Tonight
Why Don't We Live Together?

Back in the day, when we still bought albums and cassettes, the second side of Please was very enlightening for me. I was about 11-12 years old when I got this album. Of course I didn't understand all the implications, being so young. From Tonight is Forever on, every song is very sexually charged, along with the backbeats and basslines. They are quite an experience.

The singles that came from this album were West End Girls, Opportunities, Love Comes Quickly and Suburbia. In the videos, was PSB's signature look: bored as hell. :D Neil was 31 years old but he looked much younger IMO. Chris was about 24. They were both incredibly good-looking. I fell in love with Neil when I first saw West End Girls.

I love every track on this album. Two Divided by Zero was also featured in their movie It Couldn't Happen Here. It's always been one of my favorite PSB songs. The idea of just chucking it all and getting away from everything/everybody has always appealed to people.

As far as first albums go, this is a work of art. Of course their albums are all good in their own ways, depending on the career phase PSB were in, but Please is a great album that IMO is a classic.

Technorati tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home