Name:
Location: Cambridge, CAMBS, United Kingdom

Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Casanova in Hell

The Pet Shop Boys have hit a grand slam, in my opinion, with their new album Fundamental. One track, in particular, speaks volumes. It is track 9 entitled Casanova in Hell.

Now, this song is a ballad telling the story of Casanova, the legendary lover. It is said, that later in life, he became impotent. It was through shame that he wrote about his sexual exploits. Regardless if that is true or not, this song is beauty on Earth.

I have always been impressed with Neil Tennant's lyrics but for some reason the lyrics of Casanova in Hell are just brilliant. He uses a lot of words that end in -tion and the use of rhymes make this song sublime.

The vocal itself is full of emotion, in particular angst and longing. Neil has always conveyed that emotion very well and this song is no exception. His vocal has a bell like quality that is just breathtakingly beautiful. It really is to die for.

While all the tracks on Fundamental are great in their own way, Casanova in Hell is definitely my favorite. It reminds me yet again of the amazingly beautiful voice Neil has and one I've enjoyed for 21 years. As Neil is going to be 52 this year, one might say his time is coming to an end. Years ago, when asked if they were going to ever split up, Chris said "I see no reason to not continue" (paraphrasing. I don't have the exact quote in front of me). I hope they continue to live by that axiom because the music world will be dead to an extent, should Neil's voice and Chris' musical talent ever be silenced.

Technorati tags:

1 Comments:

Blogger feelingthejoy said...

I don't believe I have ever listened to the Pet Shop Boys...but I am going to right now.

4:27 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home